Lecture: Dynamical Systems in Biology - From Mathematical Biology to Systems Biology (Advanced Theory)
The lecture is suitable for mathematically interested students of biology and medicine, and also for bachelor students of physics
Time: Wednesday 12:15-14, Friday 12:15-14
Location: via Zoom
Computer exercises: Thursday 14:15-16, via Zoom
On Friday, Oct. 30, it was announced that all teaching has to be online only
Here the link to the ILIAS page where more information is given
Start: November 4, 2020
Previous knowledge: Classical mechanics, differential equations
Here the link to the ILIAS page of the lecture.
The physically motivated mathematical modelling of the dynamics of
biological systems provides a mean to turn the typically rather
qualitative field of biology quantitative and predictive.
While the well established area of
Mathematical Biology investigates simple systems, the young field
of Systems Biology considers the behavior of complex networks.
In this lecture, we will discuss the biological basics of selected
models and their mathematical and physical properties.
- J.D. Murray: Mathematical Biology
- J. Keener, J. Sneyd: Mathematical Physiology
- L. Alberhina, H.V. Westerhoff: Systems Biology
- E. Klipp et al.: Systems Biology in Practice
- The second hour of the lecture on Fraiday, February 5, 2021, we will have
a question time ''What you ever wanted to ask about dynamical
systems in biology but never dared to ask''
- The guided tour through our cathedral (in German, sorry, ... still thinking about, probably in English ...) will take place Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 12:15. Meeting place: Historisches Kaufhaus
- The written exam will take place Friday, February 12, 12:15 in HS I
- Prüfungsleistung: The mark of the written exam, Studienleistung: Pass the written exam
- Mathematical Biology
- Models of neurons
- Pattern formation
- Enzym dynamics
- Systems Biology
- Metabolic Networks
- Signal transduction cascades
- Gene regulation
lecture notes are up to date for the next lecture at midnight the day